We are Orbx.
Orbx has been the leading developer of scenery for flight simulation since 2006. Having published over 800 products, upgrading the flight experience of thousands of simmers, Orbx is known for its high-quality and high-tech products. With over 30 staff in Australia, UK and other parts of the world, Orbx is a favourite provider of simulation experiences.
Over the past ten years Orbx has invested in building a top-class collection of unique IP to delight and entertain simmers. From unique object libraries, the new Flow technologies and the well-proven system of building impressive terrain regions and highly detailed airports, the Orbx IP is what makes customers loyal to our products, confident in the knowledge that there is a continuous process of refinement and R&D to build more unique features in our software.
Orbx has committed to multiple simulator platforms including Flight Simulator X (FSX), Lockheed Martin Prepar3D, Aerofly FS 2, X-Plane 11 and now Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020. As new simulator platforms emerge, Orbx will release software to cover enhance the flight experience, maintaining the high quality and delight that all simmers have come to enjoy.
Orbx Company History
In 2005, John Venema began working on a personal Australian terrain project for Microsoft Flight Simulator 2004, a PC-based entertainment simulator often used for real pilot training. Encouraged by an overwhelming response to previews on a small blog site, the project soon became known as Vista Australia, or VOZ. By the end of that year, VOZ 0.99 made its debut and the series went on to become the most popular download for FS2004 with a thriving user community and a gathering of very talented designers and developers.
With the advent of Microsoft’s Flight Simulator X (FSX) and Lockheed Martin’s Prepar3D (P3D), also built on the FSX codeline, John saw the potential in these new engines to redefine the boundaries of high resolution terrain scenery and airports – and Orbx was born. In 2006, Orbx was formally incorporated as a company and work began on a new FSX project which ultimately became known as FTX, with AU BLUE launching in March 2008. Since then, Orbx has released airports and scenery covering the entire planet with its exceptional Orbx techniques and textures.
The Orbx Technology
Terrain Regions. The Orbx terrain regions are a unique technology which combines the use of aerial photography to create custom landclass textures implemented using some key differentiators from the default FSX/Prepar3D terrain system, such as:
- World-first hand-crafted landclass covering almost 100% of each released region.
- Unique ground textures based on licensed aerial photography local to each region.
- Seamless joining of unique landclass tilesets using custom meshing tiles.
- Custom vector-based geographical features such as road systems, coastlines and hydro.
- A unique 3D lighting system and hand-crafted night lighting textures.
- Custom autogen textures, trees and library objects.
- Custom changes to terrain.cfg, default.xml and lclookup.bgl to allow flowing and seamless landscapes that appear totally integrated with their surroundings.
Airports. With our airport products, Orbx’s mission is to create the highest fidelity that is obtainable within FSX/Prepar3D without compromising on performance and usability. As our tech is refined we are closer to reaching true HD airports which perform exceptionally well.
- Boundary-pushing 2cm, 7cm, 15cm and 30cm+ ground textures made from aerial imagery.
- Orbx released the world’s first 2cm/pixel airport – CZST Stewart BC, with more to come.
- Exquisite building modelling with HD textures, natural lighting and 3D elements.
- Extensive ‘clutter’ objects at airports, which create truly immersive environments.
- 3D animated trees and grass that really adds a sense of depth while taxiing.
- Every Orbx airport includes at least 50sqkm of photoreal ground textures.
- The introduction of a user-configurable Control Panels which allow extensive customisation.
- Audio Sound Packs with unique sampled sounds that match the airport environments.
- New “Flow” technology which is extending FSX and Prepar3D with even more realism.
Continual Innovation. Orbx continues to extend the capabilities of FSX and Prepar3D with unique technologies that add realism and immersion. For us, it is not enough to merely use the software development kits provided by Microsoft and Lockheed Martin; we push boundaries and provide additional functionality with almost every new product release.
The Best and Brightest Talent. The development team at Orbx includes some of the most gifted and seasoned flight simulator scenery and airport developers ever assembled, with many team members receiving industry recognition and rewards for their contributions to the genre. Orbx has staff in Australia, New Zealand, Canada, USA, Brazil, Asia and Europe.
Unique Intellectual Property. Over the past ten years Orbx has invested in building a top-class collection of unique IP to delight and entertain simmers. From unique object libraries, the new Flow technologies and the well-proven system of building impressive terrain regions and highly detailed airports, the Orbx IP is what makes our customers loyal to our products, confident in the knowledge that there is a continual process of refinement and R&D to build more unique features in our software.
Multi-platform support. Orbx has committed to multiple simulator platforms including Flight Simulator X (FSX), Lockheed Martin Prepar3D, Aerofly FS 2 and X-Plane 11. As new simulator platforms emerge, Orbx will release its software on the premiere simulator platforms, maintaining the high quality and delight that our simmers have come to enjoy.
If you wish to contact Orbx management about business opportunities, commercial partnerships, or other business-related matters, please email us.
Please note that Orbx does not provide email technical support for its products and any such requests will not be responded to. Please always use the Orbx Support Forums to obtain support.
Orbx also has a refunds and returns policy.